POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Welded fuselage : Re: Welded fuselage Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welded fuselage
From: Przemek Loesch
Date: 4 Jan 2005 09:25:00
Message: <web.41daa5116d92cc3cb0aac12c0@news.povray.org>
"GrimDude" <a36### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> No texture applies yet (really).
>
> Actually, this is a series of extrusions created with AutoCAD and exported
> with AutoCAD2POV. Regardless of the settings I use for isolines, dispsilh,
> or facetres (AutoCAD system variables) I don't seem to be able to export a
> smooth extrusion. That means more work in converting to pure POV code,
> unless someone mentions a fix (anyone?).
>
> - Grim

There is a problem with accurate setting of meshing solid objects and
regions in Autocad because it is done by ACIS built-in module from
spatial.com. Autocad only gets ready geometry from it. Although some
settings like facetres can help it is usually good idea to make very close
zoom and to perform regen before exporting geometry. Anyway this usually
helps when you export solids to 3ds by 3dsout command.

On the other hand if you tell that you get meshes which are not smooth that
means something goes wrong with autocad2pov export. If I remember this
application should export solids as Povray primitives. The only condition
was that solids have to be created when autocad2pov is already loaded (it
traces user's commands).

If you prefer meshes try also 3dsout option and conversion to Povray by
Poseray - http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/.  In my opinion it is currently
the best way to convert models from Autocad to Povray.

By the way where is homepage of autocad2pov now? autocad2pov.povray.co.uk is
unavailable.
Przemek